Table of Contents
- What Data We Get
- How We Get Data About You
- How We Use Your Data
- Who We Share Your Data With
- How Long We Keep Your Data
- Your Rights
- Jurisdiction-Specific Rules
- Do Not Track Disclosure
- Third Party Links
- Contact information and How to File a Complaint
1. What Data We Collect
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with Product School. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
1.1 Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
- Account Data
In order to enroll in the Services, you may be required to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address, password, and location, photo, headline, website link, social media profiles, or other data. We also assign you a unique identifying number.
- Profile Data
Includes your interests, preferences, website browsing history, demographic information such as age, gender, or education level, and feedback and survey responses.
- Shared Data
Parts of the Services let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by asking or answering questions, sending messages to students or instructors, or posting photos or other work you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.
- Course Data
When you enroll in and take courses, we collect certain data including which courses, assignments and quizzes you’ve started and completed; your exchanges with instructors and other students; and essays, answers to questions, and other items submitted to satisfy course requirements.
- Student Payment Data
If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and zip code) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip code. For security, Product School does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.
- Data About Your Accounts on Other Services
We may obtain certain information through your social media or other online accounts if they are connected to your Product School account. If you login to the Product School Service via Facebook or another third-party platform or service, we ask for your permission to access certain information about that other account. For example, depending on the platform or service we may collect your name, profile picture, account ID number, login email address, location, physical location of your access devices, gender, birthday, and list of friends or contacts.
Those platforms and services make information available to us through their APIs. The information we receive depends on what information you (via your privacy settings) or the platform or service decide to give us.
If you access or use our Services through a third-party platform or service, or click on any third-party links, the collection, use, and sharing of your data will also be subject to the privacy policies and other agreements of that third party.
- Communications and Support
- Identity Data
Information which we gather to identify you, authenticate you as an authorized user of the Services, communicate with you, and record any transactions that you make. This includes information like your first name, last name, and login credentials.
- Contact Data
Includes contact details which we gather in order to communicate information to you regarding our Services, like location, email address, and phone number.
- Marketing and Communications Data
Includes information regarding your preferences with respect to receiving marketing communications from us.
1.2 Data We Collect through Automated Means
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
- System Data
Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”).
- Usage Data
Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).
- Approximate and Geographic Data
An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.
2. How We Get Data About You
We use tools like web forms, cookies, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising providers to gather the various categories of data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt out of data collection.
2.1 We collect Personal Information from you when you:
- Create an account on the Site or register to use any of our Services;
- Apply for a Course or any other Service mentioned on the Site, through any of the Services that we provide;
- Download any of our eBooks or other resources offered through the Site;
- Participate in our surveys, promotions, and competitions;
- When you sign up and check out using our payment processing service provider, Chargebee;
- Interact with us on various social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.;
- Post information to the Site or Services that includes Personal Information, for example, by posting in a chat room or on a blog post;
- Communicate with us, for example, by submitting queries regarding the Site or Services, interacting with our customer support, marketing, or sales teams, or requesting additional information from us, including newsletters or other marketing materials; and
- Sign up, in person or online, for events or programs that are run by us or by the third-party organizations with which we partner.
2.2 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
Product School uses the following types of cookies:
- Preferences: cookies that remember data about your browser and preferred settings that affect the appearance and behavior of the Services (like your preferred language).
- Security: cookies used to enable you to log in and access the Services; protect against fraudulent logins; and help detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Functional: cookies that store functional settings (like the volume level you set for video playback).
- Session State: cookies that track your interactions with the Services to help us improve the Services and your browsing experience, remember your login details, and enable processing of your course purchases. These are strictly necessary for the Services to work properly, so if you disable them then certain functionalities will break or be unavailable.
Some of the third-party partners who provide certain features on our site may also use Local Storage Objects (also known as flash cookies or LSOs) to collect and store data.
We use third-party browser and mobile analytics services like Google Analytics on the Services. These services use Data Collection Tools to help us analyze your use of the Services, including information like the third-party website you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Services, usage and performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We use this data to improve the Services, better understand how the Services perform on different devices, and provide information that may be of interest to you.
2.4 Online Advertising
We use third-party advertising services like Facebook, Google’s ad services, and other ad networks and ad servers to deliver advertising about our Services on other websites and applications you use. The ads may be based on things we know about you, like your Usage Data and System Data (as detailed in Section 1), and things that these ad service providers know about you based on their tracking data. The ads can be based on your recent activity or activity over time and across other sites and services, and may be tailored to your interests.
Depending on the types of advertising services we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, phone, or other device to collect data about your use of our Services, and may access those tracking technologies in order to serve these tailored advertisements to you. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized version of your email address (in a non-human-readable form) and content that you share publicly on the Services.
When using mobile applications, you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide their own instructions on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
3. How We Use Your Data
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
- Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features;
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;Sending you information about new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
- To send you an email reminder to complete a subscription purchase or for other marketing purposes when you have an Abandoned Cart;
- Manage your account preferences;
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse;
- Solicit feedback from users;
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers;
- Identify unique users across devices;
- Tailor advertisements across devices;
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyze trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data;
- Advertise the Services on third-party websites and applications;
- As required or permitted by law; or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public, or our Services.
4. Who We Share Your Data With
We share certain data about you with instructors, other students, companies performing services for us, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Your Instructors: We share data that we have about you with instructors or teaching assistants for courses you enroll in for the provision of the course. This data may include things like your city, country, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to Product School, and your activities on Product School. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too.
- With Other Students and Instructors: Your shared content and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable by other users depending on your settings.
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We share your data with third-party companies (such as Chargebee and Salesforce) who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, classroom access management, marketing and advertising services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your Personal Information and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- With Analytics Services: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics, we share certain contact information: Account Data, System Data, Usage Data (as detailed in Section 1).
- For Advertising: If we decide to offer advertising in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Section 2.1), and to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience and undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. To learn more or opt out from participating ad networks’ behavioral advertising, see Section 7.1 (Your Choices About the Use of Your Data) below. Note that if you opt out, you’ll continue to be served generic ads. Product School uses personal information for direct marketing and shares such personal information with similarly situated third party partners and sponsors to market additional products and services which you may have an interest in. Such partners and sponsors include, but are not limited to:
- Ynot Partners, Inc. dba UserGuidingHeap, Inc.RealtimeBoard Inc. dba Miro
- To opt out of the sharing of information with third parties please feel free to exercise your rights as detailed in Section 7.1 below.
- For Security and Legal Compliance: We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- During a Change in Control: If Product School undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organization during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
- After Aggregation/De-identification: we can disclose or use aggregate or de-identified data for any purpose.
5. How Long We Keep Your Data
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as is necessary to provide you with the services that you have requested from us or for as long as the law otherwise permits and obliges.
To determine the appropriate retention period for your Personal Information, we consider: the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the Personal Information; the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Information; the purposes for which we process your Personal Information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means; and the applicable legal requirements.
If you would like to know more about the retention periods for different kinds of Personal Information, details are available at request by emailing us at [email protected].
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it’s important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
Product School takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your Personal Information that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and Product School, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact [email protected] with any concerns.
7. Your Rights
If you are a data subject located in the EEA, the GDPR grants you certain data privacy rights. You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Information, including the:
- Right to request access to the information that we hold about you and the reasons for which we are processing your information;
- Right to request that your information be rectified where it is incorrect or incomplete by contacting us at [email protected]. If you make a request to access information that we hold about, we will reply to you within one month of your request. We will comply with the requirements of data protection law when handling your request.
- Right to delete information we hold about you;
- Right to object to data processing (including in instances where processing is based on legitimate interests or for marketing purposes);
- Right to data portability and receive your PII in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format; and
- Right to withdraw consent at any time (if processing of Personal Information is based on consent).
- Right to ask us not to process your Personal Information, erase your data and stop using it for marketing purposes;
To exercise your rights, please contact us at [email protected]. We will comply with the requirements of applicable data protection laws when handling your request. Please be aware that your rights are limited to the extent permitted by the GDPR.
7.1 Your Choices About the Use of Your Data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or by changing the email preferences in your account. Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies. You can also request to suspend all communications by emailing us at [email protected] with your request.
- If you do not wish for us to share your personal information with any of our third party sponsors and partners, please let us know by sending your request to [email protected]. To help us process your request, please provide sufficient information to allow us to identify you in our records. Please allow a reasonable time for us to process your request. Please note that exercising these opt out rights may limit your ability to receive the full range of Company’s products and services.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
- To get information and control cookies used for tailored advertising from participating companies, see the consumer opt-out pages for the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance, or if you’re located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices. To opt out of Google’s display advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page.
- To opt out of allowing Google Analytics to use your data for analytics or enrichment, see the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us at [email protected].
7.2 Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Information
You can access and update your personal data that Product School collects and maintains as follows:
- To make a request to update, access, correct, or delete your Personal Information, email [email protected] or write to us at Product School, Inc., Attn: Privacy/Legal Team, 415 Jackson Street Suite B San Francisco, CA 94111. Please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response. For your protection, we may require that the request be sent through the email address associated with your account, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we retain certain data where we have a lawful basis to do so, including for mandatory record-keeping and to complete transactions.
7.3 Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Children under 13 (or under 16 in the European Economic Area) should not use the Services. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents or guardians who believe that Product School may have collected Personal Information from a child under those ages can submit a request that it be removed to [email protected].
8. Jurisdiction-Specific Rules
If you live in California, you have certain rights to request information. Users outside of the United States should note that we transfer data to the US and other areas outside of the European Economic Area.
8.1 Users in California
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request certain details about what personal information we share with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To submit your request, send an email to [email protected] with the phrase “California Shine the Light” and include your mailing address, state of residence, and email address.
8.2 Users Outside of the U.S.
Product School, Inc. is headquartered in California. Therefore, in order to deliver the Services, it may be necessary for us to transfer data subjects’ Personal Information outside the EEA to the United State. If you are using the Services from outside the United States, you consent to the transfer, storage, and processing of your data in and to the United States or other countries. Specifically, Personal Information collected in Switzerland and the European Economic Area (“EEA”) is transferred and stored outside those areas.
Personal Information may also be processed outside of Switzerland and the EEA by our service providers, including to process transactions, facilitate payments, and provide support services as described in Section 4. We have entered into data processing agreements with our service providers that restrict and regulate their processing of your data on our behalf. By submitting your data or using our Services, you consent to this transfer, storage, and processing by Product School and its processors.
In the event we transfer Personal Information outside the EEA, we will take commercially reasonable measures to ensure the transfer complies with applicable data protection laws and Personal Information is securely transferred. Our standard practice is to use standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission to facilitate such data transfers. If you have any questions about our data transfer practices, please contact us [email protected].
9. Do Not Track Disclosure
Some internet browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites with which the browser communicates. The Site does not currently respond to these “do-not-track” signals.
10. Third Party Links
The Services may contain links to other websites or applications (“Linked Sites”) that are not owned by Product School. We do not control the collection or use of any information, including Personal Information, which occurs while you visit Linked Sites. Therefore, we make no representations or warranties for—and will not in any way be liable for—any content, products, services, software, or other materials available on Linked Sites, even if one or more pages of the Linked Site are framed within a page of the Services.
Furthermore, we make no representations or warranties about the privacy policies or practices of the Linked Sites, and the Company is not responsible for the privacy practices of those Linked Sites. We encourage you to be aware of when you leave the Site and read the privacy policies of Linked Sites.
11. Updates to this policy
12. Contact Information and How to File a Complaint
12.1 Contact Us
- FAO: Data Protection Manager
- Address: Product School Inc., 548 Market St PMB 22502 San Francisco, California 94104-5401
- Email: [email protected]
12.2 File a Complaint
If you would like to file a complaint with us about our privacy practices, please contact us at [email protected]. If you are a data subject located in the EEA, the GDPR grants you the right to lodge a complaint with a competent supervisory authority as well. To find a competent supervisory authority, please use the following resource: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.